Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Q & A with Author Ruby Dominguez

When did you know that you wanted to be a writer?

AUTHOR: Strangely enough it chose me. Driven by a mystical dream I had after trying on a 100% hand-tied human hair wig that I purchased online in 2004, described to be “harvested from a reliable and youthful donor.”

I woke-up from the dream in shivers, seemingly reliving a dark history of a young woman’s horrifying fate named Bridget and her father’s (The Peruke Maker) vindictive quest for justice beyond the grave. At that moment I realized that a story begged to be told, therefore I wrote.

Before then, my first ever realization that writing was an avenue that I may take on was when my high school teacher informed me that she has sent my short story titled “The Little Christmas Tree” to the school’s newsletter for print. Then later on after having my babies (three boys, as matter of fact) I found myself cooing to them with self made nursery rhymes, my favorite being “That Baby Little Lizard,” sang in an Elvis Presley kind of style.

Who has been your biggest inspiration?

AUTHOR: My biggest inspiration in writing is my father. When he passed away on my birthday in 1997, I shielded my emotions from the deep hurt lost and writing became a way of connecting with him.

How do you create the characters in your books? Are they based on people you know?

AUTHOR: Yes, the character and physical traits to a certain extent are influenced by people that I know. Such as my grandmother, my father and Michael my boyfriend.

What is the one book you think everyone should read?

AUTHOR: A book is like a love affair. Once you are done with it, you can’t wait for the next one that’s coming to sweep you off your feet.

If you weren’t a writer, what be your profession?

AUTHOR: I have always dreamed to be on stage, the theater! I loved the instant gratification of the audiences’ reaction and mind you, I have not let go of that dream.

For the love of dancing, I was a dancing instructor much earlier on and taught ballet and hula, too. I love specifically Latin influence music and dance steps. Play the music and I shall dance to it!

If you could trade places with anyone in the world, past or present, real or fiction, who would it be and why?

AUTHOR: I would like to be in Amelia Earhart’s shoes because the sky offers solitude and freedom.

If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have 3 things, what would they be?

AUTHOR: Coca-Cola to quench my thirst, a laptop to write with, and a tent to sleep in.

What is your favorite movie of all time?

AUTHOR: The list is endless: from true stories, biographies, musical, I love them all!

What is the one thing that you want all your fans to know?

AUTHOR: Always follow your heart, never give up on your dreams and when in doubt step on your breaks.

If you could invite 5 people to dinner, who would they be and why?

AUTHOR: I would invite my father, my grandfather, my grandmother, two of my uncles to resolve their long standing feud and discuss about love and forgiveness.

Bio:
The author, Ruby Dominguez is challenged by the conflicting complexities of the past and future. Undeterred, she strokes with pen the somber and bright hues of her visions. She currently resides in San Francisco and works in the field of property management/leasing. She has been a recipient of the "Editor's Choice Award," by the National Library of Poetry in 1999 and 2007 for her published poems in the SHELTER OF SHADE. Visit her website at: www.outskirtspress.com/theperukemaker, and blog at www.salemcurse.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment