Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Review: The Saga of Beowulf

Photobucket

I just finished “The Saga of Beowulf” by R. Scot Johns last night and wow!!   I don’t really know where to begin because there is so much going on in this book!  It’s nonstop action and adventure.  The synopsis on the back says it’s “relentless in pace” and that is so true!  Beowulf battles a ogres, armies and himself.  And the love between Beowulf and Haereth is something most people dream about.  

Instead of giving away parts of the book, I’d like to share a couple of quotes with you that I found touching.  Beowulf said to his clan after returning from war, “ So much blood.  So many dead.  And all for what?  Homes ransacked, villages destroyed, men and women slain for half a sack of grain.  We became no better than the Swedes.  Wolves that feed on sheep when they’re not even hungry.”  Another quote that I enjoyed is when Haereth tells Beowulf “There are ways of being together even when all the world divides you.  Just as there are ways of being far apart, although we stand this close.”

I would highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone.  And if you’re worried that you won’t be able to keep up, don’t be.  The author included a map and glossary’s of people and places, which I found really helpful.  

2 comments:

  1. Hello Bridget,
    Thank you for your kind review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the read, and congratulations again on winning the book!
    Scot

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds interesting! I have just finished reading the original Beowulf, and liked it, but I have never heard of this!

    Also, Thank you for entering our book giveaway, the results will be in tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete