Friday, July 24, 2009

REVIEW: Her Name Was Beauty by Deborah A. Williams

I received emails from Bostick Communications giving a synopsis of a book and if it sounds like something I would like I reply back and ask to review a copy. I knew as soon as I read about Her Name Was Beauty, I had to have this book. It is a children's book that teaches children that beauty on the inside is what matters most. And now, I have to go on a little spiel. I'm against discrimination of any kind. I was born in Cincinnati, OH but two months later my family relocated to California because of my Dad's job with the Navy. I was in California until right before I was supposed to enter third grade, which is when we moved to Kentucky. There is a lot more diversity in California and I am so thankful that I spent my first three years of school there. I can remember asking my mom, why do I have blond hair and you have brown hair. Her answer was, that's the way God made you. Then I asked why my eyes are brown and my sister's are green. I got the same answer. This is how God made you. I honestly had no idea that there were different races. I didn't know that until I started third grade. My first sentence after my first day of school in Kentucky was "mom, why are all the kids the same?" I was used to seeing people of every race on a daily basis and this was a total shock to my system. I can remember feeling like my world was turned upside down. I don't understand how anyone can think that they are better than someone else based on skin color. We don't get to decide our race. We are born that way. When I don't like someone, it's because of their personality, not because of something that they have no control over. And I don't care if you're black, white, gay, straight, Christian, athiest, human, alien - whatever - if you have feelings then you deserve respect. You shouldn't have to fight for it, it should be automatic. But it's not and there are always going to be people with a superiority complex and think that they can belittle people. I'm just proud that I can truly say, from the bottom of my heart, that I'm not one of them. I'm not better than you and you're not better than me. The world would be a much better place if everyone understood that.

I think that Her Name Was Beauty is a wonderful children's book and I will be reading it to my nephew every chance I get.

Thank you to Deborah and Bostick Communications for sending me this book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment