Thursday, May 20, 2010

Gluten-Free challenge

The first annual GLUTEN-FREE CHALLENGE will take place this weekend, May 22-23, 2010. Organized and lead by the non-profit Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) and gluten-free, award-winning Pamela's Products, the Gluten-Free Challenge has received more than 1500 signups.

Participants from all walks of life have been joining the challenge. Some signed up in support of a loved one that is suffering from gluten-intolerance, some are gluten-intolerant themselves or just want to lead a more healthful lifestyle. On the very active GF Challenge Facebook page, here's what some participants have to say about their reasons for joining Facebook page:

- My daughter Reese who is 6 ( 7 on the 29th ) has Celiac and Type 1 diabetes . So thats why I did it.

- I started living gluten-free on March 25, 2009. I have NEVER felt better and will NEVER go back to eating gluten. Eliminating gluten from my diet made everything else function better; brain, body and spirit! It was that missing piece of the puzzle that made everything else fall into place. I believe everyone would benefit from cutting it out of their diets.

- I've been about 80% GF for about 8 months now...still striving for 100%. My body feels so much better off the stuff.

- I love this new way of eating! Gluten-Free has made a difference in me and I have only been doing it for a few weeks!

- My sister-in-law was just diagnosed with Celiac disease

- After almost 50 years of eating wheat/gluten, my naturopath had me take 21 days off...it was the best, most energetic 21 days I can recall in a long time. I am a convert.

- My future daughter-in-law is gluten intolerant and asked us to join her for the Challenge. Besides, I am having fun trying new recipes that are gluten free.

- I have friends who are celiac and I also thought that I was for a bit. This page gives me ideas for creating meals for those friends and also to help them network and find new ideas. I send links to all that I know who suffer.

- I was just diagnosed yesterday with Celiac disease. I am in shock, and trying do all the research and learning I can. I am in mourning for the loss of "normal" eating, but excited to feel better. I have had horrible stomach pain for 2 months now, and I am tired and have no energy, from the disease robbing be of nutrients. Thanks for bringing awareness to gluten free eating.


Comments such as these are the reason the two groups joined forces to start this -- to get everyone to the table, to bring families and friends together and enjoy a meal inclusively. We hope you will share the GF Challenge with your audience. We can arrange interviews with Pamela Giusto-Sorrells, of Pamela's Products, and Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD, of the GIG. Please see background below, and the website: www.goGFchallenge.com. The site offers tips, recipes and other information for participants as well as those interested in finding out more about a gluten-free diet and gluten-intolerance.

Disclosure: I did not receive any form of compensation for this post.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment