Wednesday, December 22, 2010

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE Review: How Music Works: The Science and Psychology of Beautiful Sounds, from Beethoven to the Beatles and Beyond




What makes a musical note different from any other sound? How can you tell if you have perfect pitch? Why do 10 violins sound only twice as loud as one? Do your Bob Dylan albums sound better on CD or vinyl? John Powell, a scientist and musician, answers these questions and many more in HOW MUSIC WORKS, an intriguing and original guide to acoustics. In a clear, accessible, and engaging voice, Powell fascinates the reader with his delightful descriptions of the science and psychology lurking beneath the surface of music. With lively discussions of the secrets behind harmony, timbre, keys, chords, loudness, musical composition, and more, HOW MUSIC WORKS will be treasured by music lovers everywhere.

I have been obsessed with music for as long as I can remember.  I've always wondered how music works and John's books really opened my eyes to the complexity of music.  I learned so much and because of that, I have an even greater appreciation for the music making process.  How Music Works would make the perfect holiday gift for the music lover in your life.

Little, Brown & Company
November 3, 2010
264 pages
$24.99 US

Like How Music Works on Facebook


Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book for free.  All opinions expressed are 100% mine.  If you make a purchase using my Amazon or Barnes and Noble link, I will receive a small portion of the purchase price.





Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment