Wednesday, October 13, 2010

New Twist on Old Recipe

Thanks for the post from Kirk Wood

The other night for dinner I made an old favorite with a new twist. Perhaps it's only me, but I have a hard time getting my kids to eat vegetables. I've tried dessert rewards and keeping them at the table until they eat, the list goes on and on. It's a battle. So the other day I was watching our new satellite tv that I got from this site. I love the whole new system, but I digress. A news blurp was on about basically hiding vegetables in foods that the family already loves.

I took one of the kids' favorite soup recipes which calls for one can of bean with bacon soup, one can of tomato soup, a can of chili con carne and a can full of water. Mix it all up and simmer until hot then top with corn chips (like Fritos). What I was inspired to do was to also add some pureed veggies that hopefully would go undetected. I used pureed acorn squash and carrots. I steamed two carrots and half of the squash together and then pureed them up. Once I added the puree to the soup I could only taste it a little. To camouflage fully I added a bit of chili powder and then it was perfect. Sneaky but my kids ate veggies and that's worth a lot!



Disclosure:  This post is brought to you by www.direc4u.com.



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment