Monday, October 18, 2010

Review: Coming Home: A Practical and Compassionate Guide to Caring for a Dying Loved One




Today, in increasing numbers, terminally ill people are choosing to spend their last days at home in the warmth of familiar surroundings, rather than in an impersonal hospital or nursing home. Coming Home will provide you with information, inspiration, and sensitive yet straightforward answers to questions such as:
  • Can I handle a home death?
  • How do I deal with my grief?
  • Can we afford to stay at home?
  • Can I give an injection?
  • Can pain be controlled at home?
  • How do I prevent bedsores?
  • How can I find meaning in the dying process?
  • What do I need to know about legal issues?
First published in 1981, this groundbreaking step-by-step guide has been used to train hospice staff and volunteers for over two decades. Like a supportive friend sitting with you at the kitchen table, Deborah Duda helps you to create an experience that makes your loved one’s final weeks as comfortable and meaningful as possible.
From the author's website

I watched my Granny slowly die while living in a nursing home.  Seeing her there was one of the hardest things I have ever had to witness.  She wanted to die in the comfort of her own home and I wish that I had been able to do something so that she could spend her last days the way she wanted.  I wish I had known about this book at that time because maybe I could have done something to help her.  Coming Home should be read by everyone who has a loved one dealing with a major sickness.

Synergy Books  
978-0-9842358-9-6
October 12, 2010
317 pages
$16.95 US

Visit Deborah's website







Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book for free.  All opinions expressed are 100% mine.  If you purchase a book using my Amazon or Barnes and Noble link, I will receive a small portion of the purchase price.




Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment