Friday, October 15, 2010

SCAREFEST Q & A with Author HP Mallory



When did you know that you wanted to be a writer?
I've really wanted to be a writer all my life. I started writing stories with my best friend when I was about twelve and all through high school I always took creative writing and even became an English major at UCLA. Then my writing bug took a hiatus while I partied in my college years LOL but now I'm back.

Who has been your biggest inspiration?
Well, really recently my biggest inspirations have been other indie authors who have really made names for themselves and worked to break down the barriers concerning indies. People like J.A. Konrath and within my own genre, Amanda Hocking and Zoe Winters. It's pretty amazing that they're keeping up with and in many cases outselling traditionally published authors. It's pretty cool!

How do you create the characters in your books?  Are they based on people you know?
Nope, never based on people I know. The characters just sort of write themselves. That probably sounds cliche and dumb but it's true! LOL I'll have a general idea of what type of person someone will be but their characteristics really start to emerge with their interactions with my other characters.

What is the one book you think everyone should read?
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. One of the best books I've ever read.

If you weren’t a writer, what be your profession?
Well, I'm currently a director of online marketing so I guess I'd have to make that my answer. LOL

If you could trade places with anyone in the world, past or present, real or fiction, who would it be and why?
I think it would be interesting to be a man...for about a day. Just to understand how they think. Would definitely be research I could put towards writing male characters. LOL

If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have 3 things, what would they be?
Eric from True Blood, GPS and a raft




Good call!  Eric from True Blood is dreamy!

What is your favorite movie of all time?
I can't name just one but the top 3: Gone With the Wind, The Breakfast Club, The Big Lebowski

What is the one thing that you want all your fans to know?
That I'm so grateful to them! It really means a lot when people love my books and enjoy them as much as I enjoyed writing them. I'd like to say thank you!

As one of your fans - I would like to thank you for writing such fun books:)



If you could invite 5 people to dinner, who would they be and why?
Einstein, Mary Shelley, Marilyn Monroe, Sean Connery, Edgar Allen Poe

If you could use a time machine, would you go to the past or check out the future?
If you'd asked me this when I was a teenager, I would have said the past--maybe the Regency in England. Now, I'd have to say the future. I'd like to see what's in store for us!


About HP Mallory


I am a big, huge fan of anything paranormal. I get super excited whenever
they have those Twilight Zone Marathon days, I've read every ghost book
in existence and I think I've seen about every horror movie ever made.
OK that's an exaggeration but trying to make a point.

I started seriously writing about two years ago when I was living in Cambridge, England. Living in the U.K. really fueled my writing flame because thehistory is so intense, you can't help but feel like you're in a magical place. 

The first book I started in Cambridge was Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble. Then I moved up to Edinburgh, Scotland  and started working on my second book, To Kill A Warlock.  Some of the places I visited really had a profound effect on me and I included those locations in my books.

Now I'm back in the U.S. and trying to find time to write whenever I can.
Between working in online marketing all day and raising a baby, time is scarce.  (That's my disclaimer to all of you who are wanting the next books in the series like tomorrow! LOL) But, seriously, I am aiming to release a book in each of the series every six months--that's not so bad, right?

My interests are varied but aside from writing, I'm most excited about traveling. Uncovering new places and learning about different cultures is pretty incredible.  I feel extremely fortunate to have been able to live abroad--what an amazing experience!

As far as favorite authors, I'm a definite Jane Austen fan. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book and the BBC miniseries is my favorite movie. As far as urban fantasy books are concerned, I really love the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris (I was into these books waaaay before the show, by the way) and I was really into the earlier works by Laurel K. Hamilton. I've listed some must reads on my urban fantasy links section. 

From the author's website

You can find her online here:


Disclosure:  I did not receive any form of compensation for this post.



Bookmark and Share

 

No comments:

Post a Comment