Friday, April 29, 2011

Fuming

The other day, Krista and I were hanging out and we both witnessed something that really got to us.  We had gone to Walmart and on our way back to her house, saw a little girl (I would say 18 months) standing right on the side of the road.  We were driving on a very busy road where the speed limit is 55 MPH.  We drove around a bend and there was a little girl standing inches from the road.  No one was outside with her and in front of us was a huge semi.  We easily could have hit this child and I am still shaken up over this. 

I do look out for kids when I am driving but she was like 2 inches from getting hit by us.  There was no warning and it's sad that a child could have died because no one was watching her.  What is a child that young doing anywhere near a street with lots of traffic and a 55 MPH speed limit?  And if we had hit here, we probably would have gone to jail.

I know a lot of really great parents who were appalled when I told them this story.  Their FIRST questions was "where were the parents?"  I have been seeing more and more of this and it breaks my heart.  I cannot imagine letting my dog near a road like this, let alone a child.  I did find a website that raises awareness for Kids and Cars and I wanted to take this time to share it with you.

How many innocent children have to die before people take notice and do what they meant to do as parents, which is protect their children?  I'm not saying that every child who has been near a road that busy is a bad parent.  Kids get away and things happen that you can't foresee but if you know that your child is near a road like this, you should at least go after them.  To me, what makes a parent a good parent is doing everything in their power to keep their child safe. 

And no, parents shouldn't have to worry about child molesters, kidnappers or burying a child for any reason, but the fact is that we live in a world where those concerns are real and won't be going away any time soon.

I just want to take a moment and applaud all of you moms that who protect your children.  You truly are a #1 Mom in my book.

2 comments:

  1. This really shook me up too! Well, you know I wanted to go back right then and give the parents a piece of my mind...
    Some people need to be shot. That's all there is to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate hearing things like this. As a mother it twists me up and sicken me to me core. Makes me want to ream this child's parent up oneside and down the other..with a good smack upside the head for not properly supervising this baby.
    My heart was in my throat while reading this. Please tell me that someone came out to get the child or that someone stopped to help her..

    ReplyDelete