Monday, November 29, 2010

Q & A With Author Janice Bashman


When did you know that you wanted to be a writer?

JANICE GABLE BASHMAN: Growing up, I loved going to the library and checking out piles of books to read. Although I imagined that someday I’d write one, I didn’t write outside of assignments for school until about four years ago when I began writing articles and short stories. Since then I’ve had many pieces published in both local and national markets. Most recently, my book, WANTED UNDEAD OR ALIVE: Vampire Hunters and Other Kick-Ass Enemies of Evil (co-authored with Jonathan Maberry), was published. The book deals with the struggle of good vs evil in film, comics, pop culture, world myth, literature, and the real world. Everything from vampire slayers to paranormal investigators to FBI serial-killer profilers. It includes interviews with folks like Charlaine Harris, Rachel Caine, Laurell K. Hamilton, L.A. Banks, Stan Lee, Mike Mignola, John Carpenter, Peter Straub, and many more; and the book is fully illustrated by top horror, comics & fantasy artists.

Who has been your biggest inspiration?

BASHMAN: I am inspired every day by real-life ordinary people who strive to make our world a better place, people who I consider the heroes of this world. Teachers inspire me because they dedicate their lives to helping children. Law enforcement personnel, firemen, and those in the military inspire me because they risk their lives to save ours. Writers who have inspired me include Shirley Jackson, Walter Mosley, Maya Angelou, Tim O’Brien, Flannery O’Conner, and so many others.

What is the one book you think everyone should read?

BASHMAN: TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee. It’s a coming-of-age story that explores the issues of prejudice and fighting for justice during the 1930’s, issues that are very much alive and as prevalent today as they were when the book was written.

If you weren’t a writer, what would be your profession?

BASHMAN: I love creating, so it would either be something in the film, television or photography industries.

If you could trade places with anyone in the world, past or present, real or fiction, who would it be and why?

BASHMAN: That’s a hard one—there are so many good people to choose from and I’m not really sure I could or would want to pick one. I think I’d like to infuse myself with the intellect of Einstein, the creativity of a child, and the good health and longevity of the people of Okinawa, Japan.

If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have three things, what would they be?

BASHMAN: An e-reader filled with books and an endless supply of energy to power it, my family, and food.

What is your favorite movie of all time?

BASHMAN: I’m going to cheat a little here and pick two: PLATOON and BIG. PLATOON (written and directed by Oliver Stone) is one of my favorites because of its brilliant portrayal of the horrors of war and the loss of innocence. BIG (directed by Penny Marshall and starring Tom Hanks) is also a favorite because it examines the innocence and excitement for life that is often attributed to youth but is found within all of us.

What is the one thing you want all your fans to know?

BASHMAN: I love writing. It doesn’t matter if it’s fiction or non-fiction. A first draft. A third draft. Or a fourth. There is so material out there to draw from, and it’s exciting to frame it in a way that resonates with readers.

If you could invite five people to dinner, who would they be and why?

BASHMAN: Assuming they would have to be alive and people I can’t normally invite to dinner, my five people would be: Alan Alda (I’ve always been a big fan of his writing, directing, and acting), Steven Spielberg (he’s a fantastic director whose work has influenced nearly everyone and whose work I love), Barbra Streisand (she’s one of my favorite singers, and I’ve always wanted to hear her perform live—maybe I’d get lucky and she’d invite me to a concert), Sir David Attenborough (he’s brought alive the spectacular world of nature to so many through his documentary filmmaking), and Robin Williams (I can’t imagine a dinner party without laughter, and he’s sure to bring some natural talent in that department with him).

If you could use a time machine, would you go to the past or check out the future?

BASHMAN: Although the past is enticing, I’d defiantly have to check out the future since I have no idea what it holds. The past can be understood to some extent through film, photography, the written word, and any other forms of historical preservation. The future, on the other, is fresh and new and exciting...and unknown. I’d be very curious to see what it holds for the world.

Janice Gable Bashman has written for THE BIG THRILL, NOVEL & SHORT STORY WRITER’S MARKET, THE WRITER, WILD RIVER REVIEW, and many others. Her blog and website are  http://www.janicegablebashman.com. Look for her on Facebook, Goodreads, Shelfari and Twitter.

Thank you so much Janice!



Disclosure:  I did not receive any form of compensation for this post.




Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment