Friday, September 11, 2009

Review: Making Sense of the Dollar by Marc Chandler



This book shows how American's aren't actually in that bad of shape with the current recession. Chandler states that, "The credit crisis of the U.S. dollar, nor will the euro or yuan replace the dollar as the world's currency. The U.S. economy is much more durable and innovative than people suppose, even in the face of market turmoil. Policy makers, investors - and the public - need to start thinking about the dollar and trade in a different way."

Here are just a few examples of how Marc explains the following myths:

* The trade deficit reflects U.S. competitiveness.
* Current account deficits drive currencies.
* Labor market flexibility is the key to U.S. economic prowess
* Globalization has destroyed American industry.
* The dollar's privileged place in the world is lost.

I tend to be an optimist so I thought this was a great book to help me understand that maybe the country I live in, isn't as bad off as I thought. If an expert is optimistic, that gives me more hope than I already had. If you're worried about the current state of U.S. currency, I recommend this book.



Mark is currently the Global Head of Currency Strategy for Brown Brothers Harriman.

Visit Marc's blog here.

Follow him on Twitter here.

Book Information:
Making Sense of the Dollar by Marc Chandler Hardcover
212 pages
ISBN: 9781576603215
August 2009
$27.95 U.S./$34.95 CAN

Thank you Imran at Meryl Moss Media Relations, Inc. for sending me this book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment