Sunday, December 11, 2011

To Charge It Or Not To Charge It, That Is The Question

When I turned eighteen, I receive all kinds of offers for credit cards. Like a lot of teens, I saw it as an opportunity to buy more "stuff", not to establish a good credit rating. Obviously, charging items to my credit cards did not end well for me. I became overwhelmed with debt, which cause massive anxiety on my part. Needless to say, if I could go back in time, I would have done things a little differently. It's true that having a credit card can be a good thing if you manage your money well. For others, it can be a complete disaster. While it does help your credit score if you make your payments on time, it can become a real hassle when life throws you something unexpected and you can't even afford your minimum monthly payment.

I do not ever want to be in that type of situation again. In order to make sure that this doesn't happen to us, my husband and I have decided on a "one credit card" rule. Between the two of us, we can only have one credit card. We do have our bank cards and a prepaid visa. The great thing about prepaid credit cards is that you can only spend the amount of money that you put on the card.  You don't have to worry about going over a limit or paying interest.  It is almost impossible to do some things without having a charge card.  They are often used for verification purposes and to be honest, they can make shopping a breeze! I prefer to shop online because I can compare prices at several different stores from the comfort of my own home. I also despise traffic and crowds.  I have to deal with those annoyances each week by visiting the grocery store and that is enough for me.

Disclosure: This is a paid post. All opinions expressed are 100% my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment