Sunday, September 12, 2010

Review: My Father's Places by Aeronwy Thomas




When Aeronwy was six, her parents Dylan and Caitlin Thomas moved to the boathouse at the edge of the small Welsh village Laugharne. Through a child’s eye, she recalls the chaos and joy of living with Dylan Thomas while the poet was at the height of his creative powers, composing Under Milk Wood. Through a series of beautifully evocative episodes, village and family life are explored. Emerging from the narrative, Aeronwy tells a moving memoir of growing up in Wales in the 1940s and a new portrait of Dylan Thomas as a father from the only person who could tell that story. This literary sensation includes never-before-seen photos of Dylan Thomas and his family, will get widespread attention, and features personalities like Augustus John, A.J.P. Taylor, as well as the villagers who would eventually be transformed into the characters from Llareggub.

I love being able to look into another person's life.  I was impressed with this book and the talent Aeronwy possesses.  My Father's Places is an addicting memoir that is sure to stir up emotions in any reader. 

My Father's Places by Aeronwy Thomas
Skyhorse Publishing
9781616081010

September 1, 2010
224 pages
$19.95 US






Disclosure:  I received a copy of this book for free from Skyhorse Publishing.  All opinions expressed are 100% mine.  If you purchase a book using my Amazon or Barnes and Noble link, I will receive a small portion of the purchase price.



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment